Spray foam insulation is considered to be toxic because of “off-gassing” which refers to the toxic fumes that are given out during the installation process. It is true that spray foam off-gases to an extent because of the presence of VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds that is present in the isocyanates.
These toxic fumes can cause lung problems, respiratory diseases, and irritation in your nose and throat. This is why you are asked to leave your home or commercial space for the time that foam insulation is being installed. However, spray foam insulation in Land O’ Lakes is considered to be safe once it is fully cured because then it will stop off-gassing.
Foam insulation should always be installed by a professional insulation contractor otherwise if it is not installed properly it may continue to give off toxic gases. It needs to be handled with care and the area needs to be ventilated properly.
A common question that is often asked is whether spray foam insulation in Land O’Lakes can be used in areas that have mold. When foam insulation is sprayed in the attic, basement, crawlspace, and other areas, it prevents the formation of mold and mildew.